Cleary, B. (1983). Dear, Mr. Henshaw. NY: Morrow.
Dr. Mr. Henshaw is a well written book it has humor and life events that children go through on a daily basis. It is about a boy Leigh Botts who is going through the difficult times with the divorce of his parents, moving to a new town, insecurity, the struggle to make friends and bullying. After writing a letter to his favorite author, Boyd Henshaw, for a class assignment they form a friendship. This friendship changes Leigh's life as it helps him get through his difficult time.
I enjoyed reading this book!! I love how the author writes through the eyes of a sixth-grade boy. As well as it being written as a journal with dates and not by specific chapters. Overall, I think it is a really good read for children, it teaches them that they can overcome difficulties in their lives. When you click the link below you will find a list of characters and books that Clearly (author) that are similar to Dr. Mr. Henshaw.
The World of Beverly Cleary
The World of Beverly Cleary

No comments:
Post a Comment