Gabi is a 17 year old senior who is going
through a lot of drama at home and at school. Her best friend Cindy becomes
pregnant right before the school year and her guy best friend, Sebastian,
finally came out to his family that he is gay. Her father is a drug addict, her
brother has been getting into trouble, her religious Aunt Bertha moves in and
her mother becomes pregnant. Gabi is always questioning herself if she is a
“good girl” and if she is good enough and she continually asks herself “who
would love a fat girl?” She secretly hides her goodies in her dresser drawers,
under her pillows and bed. With everything that she is going through she is also interested in finding the right boyfriend even though she is the FAT GIRL.
There are so many ups and downs in Gabi’s life however she finds a way to be true to herself.
I really enjoyed this book; I like how it
was written as a journal/diary and how Gabi included her poems. There was several times
where I giggled because it took me back to when my friends would say
something similar to what happened with Gabi. This book is very relatable to
people of Hispanic culture.
Quintero, I. (2014). Gabi: A girl in pieces. TX: Cinco Puntos
Special Note: This book won the 2015 William C. Morris Award.
No comments:
Post a Comment