Friday, February 23, 2018

Out of my mind


Image result for out of my mind
Draper, S. (2010). Out of my mind. NY: Atheneum.

Melody is an 11 year old girl who has cerebral palsy who has never spoken a single word but is highly intelligent. Nobody knows how intelligent she is until she decides to try out for the Whiz Kids at school. It is a competition where students are given questions from all subject matters, winners have a chance of going to Washington, D.C. and if the teams gets first place they will have a segment on Good Morning America. Melody makes the initial team and she helps her team get first place in their district. However, Melody's heart gets broken when nobody from her team calls her to take the early flight to Washington, DC to compete. She thought her teammates were her friends but it turns out they were embarrassed to be seen with her. This story takes you through her trials and tribulations of attending school, being heard, making friends, having rude peers and finding acceptance.

When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it but now after finishing it I am amazed how realistic this story is. We judge people who have disabilities on their looks without ever getting to know who they really are. This is an absolute must read for anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment