
dePaola, T. (1983). The legend of the bluebonnet. New York: Putnam.
Story of a girl whose family die during the famine that has struck her tribe. She is left alone and her new name s She-Who-Is-Alone. The only thing she has left from her family is a doll, it is her most prized possession. The drought threatens her tribe so they speak to the Great Spirits. The Great Spirits wants them to sacrifice their most valued possession. She-Who-Is-Alone knows what she must do and goes at night to make her offering by giving her doll. The Great Spirit's answer with the much need rain but also with a field covered with bluebonnets. She-Who-Is-Alone name is changed to One-Who-Dearly-Loved-Her-people.
This an absolutely beautiful story about giving up something important for those that you love. The illustrations are exquisite, the water colors show the emotions of the story. I loved this story when I was younger and I still love it today.
No comments:
Post a Comment